Flat Iron Waves and Curls
Whether you are going on a trip with limited packing room or you are just trying to adopt a slightly more Buddhist attitude with your hair styling tools, the tool that I suggest your choose is your flat iron. As far as heat styling tools, flat irons are definitely the most versatile since you can get so many different styles with just the one tool. Besides the obvious straight hair, you can also get loose, beach waves and even tighter curls.
Follow these steps to get the perfect curl or wave with your flat iron:
• Start with completely dry hair with the part you want to wear for your style. Be sure to spritz some heat protectant spray.
• Split your hair to make the whole process a little less overwhelming. I like clipping up the top layers of my hair and starting the process on the bottom layers.
• Grab about an inch section, and clamp the flat iron around the section fairly close to your head. Then, simply twist the flat iron half way around while it is clamped down, and run the flat iron down the section in the twisted position. This is where you can decide what style you are going for. For a wave, hold the flat iron horizontal; get full-on curls by holding the flat iron vertical.
• Go through the rest of your hair, and remember to keep the flat iron consistently horizontal or vertical. If you are getting clamp creases on your hair, turn the heat down a bit and loosen the hold on your hair.
• After all your hair has been curled or waved, run your fingers through to create a more natural look.
• Spritz with some hairspray.
This technique might take a try or two to get right, but it is definitely worth the work once you master all the ways to use your flat iron. It can become the go-to styling tool, and your current hair drawer, with its numerous styling tools and tangled cords, can become a lot more organized. Between straightening, curling, and waving, the flat iron is the 3-in-one tool that every girl should get the hang of.