Strawberry Avocado Salsa and Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Some like to tango, but we prefer the salsa.
Bust a move at your Fourth of July barbecue with a new dancing partner.
Strawberry avocado salsa is the cloying, zestier sister to her spicy tomato sibling. Combining chopped strawberries with peeled avocados and fresh squeezed lime, this salsa promises a refreshing three-step on admiring palates. A kick of seeded chopped jalapeno keeps things spicy.
With a sweeter flavor, strawberry avocado salsa partners best with cinnamon tortilla chips. Whole wheat flour and canola oil ensure the treat isn’t too caloric–a handy characteristic when considering the copious amounts of beer and burgers you’re sure to consume come Wednesday. If your tastebuds prefer a little savory with their sweet, top the strawberry avocado salsa on those burgers or hot dogs for a change of step.
To ensure the cinnamon chips and strawberry avocado salsa are the spotlight of the snacks table, choreograph your entrance at the beginning of the party to vie for the best table position. Feeling ambitious? Hand-craft a place card like these on Hostess With The Mostess (you may want to pick up a dessert idea or two while you’re there).
When you dip, we dip, they dip.
Strawberry Avocado Salsa and Cinnamon Tortilla Chips (from MyRecipes and Cooking Light)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 (6-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled ripe avocado (about 2)
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare chips, brush oil evenly over one side of each tortilla. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over oil-coated sides of tortillas. Cut each tortilla into 12 wedges; arrange wedges in a single layer on two baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Combine avocado and remaining ingredients; stir gently to combine. Serve with chips.
Photo from MyRecipes