When was saw the new collection from Natalie Kasses, Creative Director of Pastels Salon in Dubai, we had to know more. We absolutely loved her vivid color accents, creative texture and overall aesthetic. We were lucky enough to chat with her and find out more about her collection, her inspirations, and what she thinks will be the next big trends…
- What was the inspiration behind this shoot?
In general, my inspiration for collections comes from places I have visited that have inspired me. For Zen, for instance, while I was attending L’Oreal’s colour specialist course in London in late 2015, I visited an exhibition called Tibet’s Secret Temples. Based on an exquisite series of 17th century murals from a private meditation chamber for Tibet’s Dalai Lamas and featuring more than 120 objects including scroll paintings, statues, as well as archival and contemporary film, the exhibition explored Tibetan Buddhist yogic and meditational practice and their connections to physical and mental wellbeing. This was the acute inspiration for the Zen collection.
- Can you give us a bit of insight into what the typical creative process behind creating a collection is like?
A lot of I need to think about the story, the looks we will create around this story, select the right models that will embody each look and of course decide upon the hair styles that will be created, which should highlight both the salon’s progressive passion and the talent of the staff involved.
- Is there a specific area you often find yourself looking to for inspiration?
I love art and I visit museums and galleries wherever I am in the world, so more often than not, something that I see during a visit will capture my attention and imagination and be the initial source of inspiration for the shoot.
- Do you have any rituals to ensure a successful shoot?
Right before we embark on doing the shoot, we tend to have a group chat and a big hug to strengthen the team spirit. Creating a shoot is a lengthy process and it is a very long day for all involved so we need to ensure that we are all buzzing with positive vibes.
- What is the one product/tool that you can’t live without?
When it comes to products, I love L’Oreal super dust and I absolutely cannot live without my EIDEAL curlie.
- If you had a superpower, what would it be?
I can’t really narrow it down to just one. To be honest, there is an array of magical and physical powers that I would love to have.
- How do you work together, as a team, to ensure a cohesive finished look?
Prior to the day of the shoot, we hold many team meetings to ensure that everyone is on the same page and completely understand not only the theme of the shoot and the styles we will create, but also his or her role.
- I love the embellishments in the hair, is this something you think we’ll be seeing more often?
Definitely. For a hair stylist, it is always fun playing with different textures and accessories. They can be used to make individual styles a bit more interesting and lend a unique character.
- How did makeup and styling play a role in this shoot? How did you work together to get the vision across all mediums?
The role of the make-up artist and stylist is as important as each of the other elements as they bring the shoot together. I have worked with the same makeup artist, stylist and photographer every year for the past four years as we have a great connection and passion for our work. We seem to be able to bounce off each other quite well and stimulate each other’s creative flair so that the final images achieved exceed everyone’s expectations.
- You color placement is perfection, do you have any tips or tricks you can share for someone looking to achieve a similar look?
When it comes to color placement, I believe it so important to use the mirror when you are working a look to see where you want the color. You need to think about the eyes and the face shape and the way they impact the hair.
- What hair trends can we look forward to this Fall?
Styles that feature loads of texture will be huge this Fall. There will be a complete return to hair that embodies movement and an absence of poker-straight styles.
Be sure to stalk Pastels Salon on Bangstyle to see even more inspirations!