Looking for a style that will upgrade your holiday season and last well into the New Year? The ponytail is one of the best ways to refresh your style, add interest to any look or as Al Campbell suggests — to add a mix of textures to any look! “I’m in love with finishes that have a mix of textures – the smooth crown and massive volume of this extended ponytail just screams joy to me,” says Al Campbell, Sam Villa Ambassador and owner of D Alexander Studios @al_alexander. To create this gorgeous look he uses a mix of Sam Villa tools, Mizani products and extensions to create this style. Read on below to see exactly how to get the look and which products you’ll need to pick up!
Products, Accessories & Tools Needed:
Tools: Limited Edition Ruby Red Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer and Signature Series Sleekr® Professional Straightening Iron, paddle brush, tail comb, dry sectioning clips, hair ties/large elastics, bobby pins.
Products: Mizani HRM Humidity Resistant Mist Spray and Mizani HD Shyne.
- Accessories: 1-2 bundles of 14” textured/curly hair extensions.
- Start with freshly cleansed and blow dried hair.
- Smooth hair using the Sleekr® and a tail comb.
- Section hair into 3 sections (1. back/nape; 2. ear to ear/middle/crown; 3. front)
- Use a tail comb to gather hair in the back section into a small ponytail and hold with one hand. Spray Mizani HRM on hair, directionally blow dry and set dry molding in place for the first ponytail.
- Repeat Step 3 for both middle and front sections. Dry molding them to blend with back section. The result should be three overlapping ponytails giving the impression of one.
- With loose hair from the pony create a 3-strand braid and secure with an elastic.
- Secure one end of the bundles weft into the end of the braid near the elastic with a pin (open end up). Wrap weft very taut around the braid until reaching the base of pony and secure with pin (open end down).
- Take about a 1” strand from base of pony and wrap around to disguise the pin and elastic. Use Mizani HRM and blow dryer to dry mold into place. Secure with pins as needed.
- Use a Sam Villa Signature Series Paddle Brush to blend and fluff the pony, starting at the ends working toward the base. Set with Mizani HRM.
Shop The Look:
Tune in weekly to learn more valuable information from Sam Villa and team here.