From Woodstock to Coachella, festival style stems from a break from the norm. Historically, music festivals were all about expressing yourself free from the constraints of society and these days from festival inspired cuts and color to style and beauty – in modern times we’re seeing that almost anything goes. From Red Carpet to Fashion Week, individuality is key and something to be truly celebrated this season! Keep reading to learn a quick and easy way to create a festival inspired look in no time!
As clients make a run for the desert and look to their stylist for some fresh inspo, be sure to lead them in the right direction with a simple style that speaks volumes about their persona. The quickest way to stand out in style is by adding embellishment to your look. In this tutorial from Anna Peters, Sam Villa ArTeam Member, a festival fishtail braid is all you need to shine!
“Festival hair is all about the attention to fun details with an effortless approach,” says Anna Peters, Sam Villa ArTeam Member. “And with the festival season going through August, there’s plenty of time to teach guests how to play along by adding texture and braids,” she adds.
Festivals are all about freedom and acceptance – anyone can easily add a fun detail to the hair no matter what cut or color you’re working with! “Let go and let your braids hang free! This dainty, detailed, fishtail braid is easy to create, yet packs a big style punch. Place the braid in the front near the face for a festival fun feel,” adds Peters. If you’re looking for an extra hint of individuality, consider adding an accessory to your braid. From braid rings to colored extensions, barrettes and clips – you can easily customize and change these as the festival rolls on.
*Hot Tip: Don’t worry about being too perfect; the wispy hair hanging around the face gives it that perfect effortless touch.
- Start with a two-inch section of hair near the temple a couple of inches back from the hairline. Using the Sam Villa Signature Series Textur ProfessionalTexturizing Iron, gently compress all the way down the hair to create 3X the volume!
- Divide the section evenly into 2 sections holding one in the right hand and one in the left.
- Take a very thin section of hair from the outside of the right section and cross it over to the inside of the left section. Take a very thin section of hair from the left section and cross it over to the inside of the right section. *Keep sections thin to add more detail. Continue this process all the way down until you have the desired length of braid.
- Holding onto the ends, start gently pulling each side apart to create fullness. Start at the bottom and work up.
- Secure ends with an elastic.
- Spray with Redken Triple Dry 15 medium control dry texture finishing spray for a matte, lived-in finish and a touch of holding power.
Credits: Hair/Sam Villa ArTeam; Photo/Katie Parker; Wardrobe/Brittany Hart; Makeup/Nicole Schimel; Model/Izabella Martinez @bellamartinezzz