Americana is a theme seen throughout many shows at New York Fashion Week this year and as designers head back to their roots, they bring with them new styles of vintage eras. It seems as though Stuart Vevers for Coach SS18 drew upon America in the 70s for his inspiration – he introduced denim and brought back the mailbox bag and western influenced leather jackets – presenting his creations on a glittery backdrop, therefore transforming his designs for a new age crowd. The artist Keith Haring was also an inspiration for Vevers as he drew upon the playfulness of his designs to help inspire some of the spirit of the city.
The hair echoed the sentiment of Vevers designs’, “It’s a grungy, bedhead, downtown, 1970’s rock-and-roll vibe here at Coach. I’m using Redken Wax Blast 10 High Impact Finishing Spray-Wax to give the models a rocker edge and to emphasize their own hair’s texture. I’ve left the ears showing with a center part, keeping the lengths and back a little bit messy to showcase the effortless vibe,” said Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau.
We love this wet look – it would be perfect for a shag but looks great on any length and definitely gives off classic 70s Americana vibes. Read on to learn how to get the look.
GET THE LOOK:
- Start with a clean, natural middle part on dry hair.
- Clip up the top 1” of your hair on the top of your head to keep it out of the way.
- Starting with 1” sections from the back, heavily spray Redken Wax Blast 10 High Impact Finishing Spray-Wax on each section. Once complete, lay down the 1” section and further spray Redken Wax Blast 10 High Impact Finishing Spray-Wax to flatten and give the hair a wet appearance.
- Continue from the back on either side up until the face-framing pieces, leaving the top 1” of your hair alone. Using your fingers, pull down the 1” sections in front of the ears on either side to give a rock-and-roll vibe. Let the ears show through.
- Ensure the hair on the sides of the face stays flat by clipping them down with a hair clip on either side.
- Once set, take the 1” section on the top of the head and spritz Redken Wax Blast 10 High Impact Finishing Spray-Wax in vertically. Using Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray, help set the volume at the back of the crown for a bedhead look.
- Remove the clips on either side of the face, and spritz Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray over your lengths and crown of your head to hold the style.
- For an added rocker edge, use your fingers to push down on your hairline to cover part of your forehead.
- Add a heavy coat of Redken Shine Flash 02 Glistening Mist for glass-like shine and a wet appearance.