From head to toe and front to back, no matter which way you looked at it the Valentino Fall 2018 Couture show was stunning! Indicative of a 60s flair with capes and ruffles and all things fashion we could ever dream of, Pierpaolo Piccoli touched the hearts of many through his fantastical vision. When it came to the hair, Redken Global Creative Director, Guido Palau took teasing to a whole new level, literally. From over-the-top bouffants to flower headpieces that literally brought us back to a time of opulence only our grandparents were witness to – fantasy was all around.
“The big hair at Valentino was inspired by extravagance.” Said Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau. “Pierpaolo and I were looking at a 60s Diana Vreeland / Harper’s Bazaar shoots: these women who had this glorious, dream hair. It’s fantasy hair that women dream about. We used Redken Guts 10 to create volume and then blow-dried it. Then we used six hairpieces on each girl that were colored by Redken Global Color Creative Director Josh Wood. To finish the looks, we smoothed the hair with Redken Shine Flash 02 and Redken Forceful 23 Hairspray.”
Whether you’re looking to recreate the smooth and sleek ponytail or the big and bouncy “big hair” follow along below to see how he created the look!
GET THE LOOK – THE STYLE / THE PONYTAIL:
3. Apply a quarter-sized amount of Redken Satinwear 04 to lengths and ends for added heat protection and smoothness.
4. Blow-dry hair with a round brush away from the face in small sections to smooth.
5. Take small sections around the hairline just below the crown and apply Redken Hardwear Gel 16 for a smooth, shiny, wet look.
6. Create ponytail at the nape of your neck and secure with an elastic.
7. Spray hair with Redken Forceful 23 Hairspray to hold the look.
8. Spritz Redken Shine Flash 02 throughout your lengths and ends for added shine.
GET THE LOOK – THE STYLE / ‘BIG HAIR’:
3. Create a section from the hairline to crown behind the ear.
4. Blow-dry your hair with a round brush using Redken Guts 10 in five larger sections until hair is fully dry.
5. Wig wrap the back of your head. Set in a few additional hairpieces for added, oversized volume.
6. Attach padding to the nape and the crown.
7. Secure pieces into the padding using bobby pins.
8. Back-comb the pieces with Redken Wind Blown 05 for added texture and volume.
9. Smooth and finish hair with Redken Forceful 23 Hairspray to hold the look.
For even more fashion-forward hair color and style trends be sure to follow @Redken on social media for the latest updates!