The backbar has always been one of the best places to chat about products. Clients are in a relaxed environment, usually not looking at their phones, and are interested in chatting about what new amazing product you’re using on them. A great way to enhance the experience is by maximizing the visual appeal of the backbar. This is a surefire way to create conversation starters for add-on services applied at the backbar or shampoo bowl. To give you a little more inspiration, Blake Reed Evans, Sam Villa Ambassador and owner of Shear Art Salon (Tampa, FL) @blakereedevans, gives 5 tips on how to increase back bar business.
- Merchandise – Make sure treatments/offerings are visual, brands like Kérastase and Redken offer beautiful backbar displays that create conversation and peak guests’ attention.
- Cleanliness - Keep the backbar in immaculate condition - face all the shampoo and conditioner bottles forward and make sure all product and shampoo bowls are clean and free of hair.
- Inventory – It’s imperative to always have enough product on hand, while not having too much. The best way to keep track is to monitor how much is being used EVERY WEEK. The constant checking will keep inventory at the appropriate level for staff.
- Add on Services – Offer customized services with optional add-ons at the shampoo bowl and communicate the offerings consistently across ALL platforms. Think, e-mail list, text blasts, social media, and most importantly, make sure the front desk team is constantly offering upgrades to guests when they are booking appointments.
- Pricing – The clearer the communication is with the guest on WHY the add on product/service will benefit them, the more receptive they will be to add it on. Offer low, mid-tier and high price points – the lower and higher one exists to make the middle-tier look like the perfect splurge.
Learn more business and technical tips from Sam Villa and team here.