The 90s don’t necessarily feel that long ago for most of us, but believe it or not; it's been over 20 years since that decade wrapped. While most of us remember the styles, the boy bands, the butterfly clips, and the spaghetti strap tops from first-hand experience, we could use some inspiration when modernizing the hairstyles for today’s trends. With nostalgia at every turn, we’ve got a few 90s-inspired hairstyles that you can easily create this holiday season.
The Easy Upstyle
This messy chic meets snatched bun style is the ideal second-day hairstyle that can add flair to any ponytail.
@redken Slick 90’s Inspired Upstyle #redkentexturepaste #redkenstyleconfidently #hairtok #hairstyle original sound - Redken
- Comb through hair and then apply Redken Texture Paste from roots to mid-lengths. This will help tame any flyaways and create a smooth finish.
- Comb hair into a ponytail, and on your last loop, pull it only halfway through to create a looped bun.
- Use a curling iron to refresh your ends, and finish with Redken Brushable Hairspray to keep everything in place.
Whether your idea of a classic 90s blowout is via Jen or Cindy, this tutorial will help you create the look. The key? Subtle volume, slightly tucked ends and a smooth finish.
@redken Recreating Iconic 90’s Blowouts in Lickety Split. #redkenstyleconfidently #brushablehairspray #spraywax #90sblowout #90shairstyle original sound - Redken
- Prep the hair with Redken Quick Blowout to protect against heat styling and to speed up your blowout.
- Rough dry the hair and then use a round brush to create a straight finish with slight bends to your ends.
- Apply Redken Spray Wax to add texture and control to each section.
- Finish with Redken Brushable Hairspray and finger comb your style into place.
From Halle to Gwyneth, pixie haircuts were everywhere in the 90s, with one thing in common — a slightly messy finish. Whether you have a traditional pixie or are rocking a Bixie or Mixie, this one’s for you!
@redken Messy Pixie Quick & Easy with Texture Paste & Brushable Hairspray. #redkenstyleconfidently #pixiestyle #quickandeasyhairstyles original sound - Redken
- On dry hair, work Redken Texture Paste into your hands and then apply to your mid-lengths and ends to create piecy separation.
- Then spritz with Redken Brushable Hairspray and shake out your look for an effortless finish.
Cool Girl Hair
These waves are the perfect update to the once-loved crimped hair look. With a deep wave and a repetitive pattern, The right combination of sweet and chic, the finished style looks like flat iron waves but takes a fraction of the time to create!
@redken Ready to change up your waves? Check out this Cool Girl style by @Lindsey.marie.olson. #ironshape11 #heatprotection #coolgirlhair original sound - Redken
- Prep hair by spraying each section with Redken Iron Shape 11 before iron work to protect hair from the heat and add a slight hold.
- With no elevation, work the iron into the hair, starting just below the root and moving toward the ends.