As men update their hair routine to meet the “new normal” of suave styles, they are met with new challenges – especially for men with texture. They might not be able to achieve their new sought-after looks with old styling techniques. As men begin to update everything from their wardrobes to their medicine cabinets, there is one tool that will transform their new ‘do. It can be especially challenging for men with coarse natural texture to get a nice smooth finish, but Andrew Carruthers, Director of Education for Sam Villa, suggests grabbing a flat iron. It’s not just for ladies…it’s a fast convenient way to transform short, curly, coarse texture for a smoother more controlled finish.
“I know most men think flat irons are just for the ladies, but they really need to get over that and realize it’s a great grooming tool that makes styling shorter hair so much easier,” says Carruthers.
How to Use a Flat Iron on Men’s Hair
- Plug iron in to heat up to appropriate temperature – the Sam Villa Signature Series Sleekr Professional Straightening Iron has three temperature settings – low, color-treated and high.
- Once iron is hot, take 1” sections and comb through to remove tangles.
- Place iron in hair and pass the iron over the section using light tension to prevent creases and to focus on the ends – target specific sections to define texture.
- Don’t overdo it! Maintain some bend in the hair to avoid the 90’s “boy band” look.
- Finish with favorite product.
Take a peek at all of the tips and beautiful tools Sam has created for artists. For even more hair care and styling tricks, be sure to stalk Sam Villa Professional on Bangstyle and check out all of his tools in the Bangstyle Store!