The Marc Jacobs SS18 show was the show seen (and not heard) around the world. Models walked in silence and many of us followed along via Instastory to the audience’s whispers, mostly praising Kaia Gerber. The show took place at the Park Avenue Armory – a feast for the eyes in and of itself. The audience took their seats in a single line around the show floor, each getting their own front row peek of the “runway”. As models lapped around the giant hall, the audience was left enamored for the tropical getaway Jacobs so eloquently created. You actually heard the movement of the fabric – swooshing and clinking – as you were transformed into another world.
Decked out in head pieces – a la silk turbans – sequins and styles of season’s past, the theme of the show was “Somewhere,” which we could all only hope was tucked away on an island in a far-off place. He drew upon his favorites and reinvented them in a way you could tell he took gratification in and Kaia Gerber and the backdrop of the Marc Jacobs show were everything extra we hoped it would. When it came to the hair, it was nothing short of fabulous, “The look at Marc Jacobs feels very couture-y, but the way the shapes are feels somewhat sporty. It’s a clash of styles. I used a combination of gel, hairspray, and water, depending on the hair’s texture, to tightly wrap the hair so the snoods and scarves can fit comfortably the head. It’s a very old technique – some women do wear their hair out like this. The look is also a nod to the 1970s, very Diana Vreeland,” said Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau.
Follow along below to see how to create this classic style.
GET THE LOOK:
- Starting with dry hair, secure a section of hair in a small bun at the crown of the head.
- Dampen lengths with water and alternate spraying with Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray and applying Redken Hardwear Gel 16 to 1” sections of hair, starting from the middle-back of the head, and pin each section close to the scalp. Move to the right side of the head and repeat, wrapping and securing each portion.
- Continue until hair lengths are wrapped completely around the head, using Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray and water as needed to smooth and flatten hair against the head.
- Once hair is dry, use a wig cap to cover hair completely and secure in place with bobby pins.
- Fit turban or wrap a scarf around the head to complete the look.