Baby, it’s cold outside and no one wants to leave the salon (or house) with wet hair. Around this time of year, there’s a great rush to get out of the house or the salon in a hurry. Conquering last-minute shopping or squeezing in an appointment before the holiday can be challenging, but with a few quick and easy tips you can speed up your blow-dry so everyone can get to where they need to be on time.
“As a stylist, you can add value to your services that inspire and educates your guests…like telling them not to aim a blow dryer at soaking-wet hair and start blasting away! It takes too much heat and time to dry and compromises the integrity of their hair,” explains Sam Villa Co-Founder of Sam Villa and Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken. Instead, offer these tips to speed up the process and keep hair shiny and healthy.
- Step 1: Use conditioner in the shower. It is essential for healthy hair and prevents it from absorbing too much water.
- Step 2: Shake it out. Before stepping out of the shower, flip head upside down and gently squeeze out excess water.
- Step 3: Air and/or towel dry thoroughly. Hair should be at least 50% dry before reaching for the blow dryer or hot brush, to reduce the amount of heat and time needed to dry it. A microfiber towel is great for soaking up excess water gently.
- Step 4: Detangle with a wide-tooth comb or microfiber brush. Turn the comb and brush vertically to remove stubborn tangles easily.
- Step 5: Apply products. Before drying, prep hair with a “quick blow dry” product that protects hair and speeds up drying time.
- Step 6: Go ionic. Ionic hair dryers emit negative ions that break apart the water droplets in damp hair for faster, smoother styling and gorgeous shine.
- Step 7: Blow-dry each section only once. Use clips to section off hair and start with the lower layers. Slow down to speed up by working through each section slowly to avoid having to re-dry the same sections multiple times. Drying each section in a slow-motion allows for more concentration of heat and airflow.
“These 7 steps not only ease the drying ritual for guests at home, but it will also keep their hair in better shape for when they visit the salon too!” adds Villa.
Need a few more tips to create the perfect style? Learn more about how to blow dry hair without damage here.