Upstyles are taking on an elegant edge this season and this sweeping twist is the perfect style for any occasion. If your client is looking for a festive way to rock around the Christmas tree or ring in the New Year, this style will get them there. The Sam Villa ArTeam has incorporated a great amount of detail that looks beautiful from all angles. Within this style, a romantic swooping fringe leaves softness around the face while mixed texture is added by layering a braid on the side of an elegant messy bun.
“As with all up styles, prep is crucial to make sure it has staying power,” says Anna Peters, Sam Villa ArTeam Member. Which is why prep and finishing are so important. Keep reading for a few tips on how to get a quick and easy upstyle for guests during the busy holiday season!
- Isolate a triangle section from corner of each eye to high point of the head or as deep as the fringe.
- Drop out a 2” deep vertical section on each side in front of the ear. Texturize these sections with the Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron. Clip out of the way.
- Using Redken Guts 10 for control, spray at the base of the remainder of the hair. Using the Sam Villa Artist Series Professional Blow Dryer with concentrator on, and a Sam Villa Signature Series 9 Row Finishing Brush. Create a directional blow dry directing the base of hair up towards the high point of the head where the bun will sit. Taking the time for this directional blow dry makes a smooth and bump-free high ponytail. Smooth hair up to create a ponytail and isolate with elastic.
- Spray down any flyaways with Redken Triple Take 32.
- Taking vertical textured sections, create a 3-strand braid and loosely pancake the strands to widen the braid. Secure up to the base of the ponytail with pins. Do this on both sides.
- Take the ends of the ponytail and gently twist, pinch and pull hair to create a full and textured bun, twisting around the base of the ponytail and pinning into the base.
- Moving to the fringe section, create a center part. Using the Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand 1.5” create large curls that will gently swoop away from the face.
Credits: Hair/Sam Villa ArTeam; Photo/Katie Parker; Wardrobe/Amia Serrano; Makeup/Teal Druda.