Ugly Sweater parties, office parties, family gatherings, oh my! Attending an abundance of festive soirées may feel like your full-time job during the holiday season, but stressing over planning out each ensemble doesn’t have to be. Check out the top holiday-ready hairstyles for every occasion, along with secret weapons for creating each look.
The Shindig: Ugly Sweater Party
The Style: Fishtail Braid Half Updo
When it comes to Ugly Sweater parties, the sillier, the better! But, just because your sweater may be ridiculous cheesy doesn’t mean that your hair should be too. A fishtail half-updo looks equal parts flirty and festive, making it the perfect complement to any over-the-top ensemble.
1. Grab a small section at the crown of the head, then secure it out of the way using a hair clip.
2. Create a small fishtail braid along one side of your head, then secure it with a clear hair elastic. Gently pull on the braid to add volume. Repeat on the other side.
3. Next, grabbing the section at the back, gently tease the roots. Pin the section into place.
4. Wrap one of the fishtail braids around the head, then pin it underneath the teased section at the back. Repeat with the second braid.
5. Use the 2-in-1 curling iron to add loose waves to the rest of your hair, then finish with hairspray.
The Shindig: Office Party
The Style: Mermaid Waves
The Secret Weapon: Usmooth Wave Iron & Keune Style Brilliant Gloss
The office holiday party is the perfect time to let your hair down (literally) and indulge in a little spiked eggnog with your co-workers! Cool modern crimps are a fun and edgy twist on casual waves. Plus, a user-friendly wave iron makes the look insanely easy to achieve!
1. Divide the hair into 2-3 sections, depending on your hair thickness. Grab a small section and apply Keune Style Soft Set Spray No. 57 to the hair.
2. Starting at the root, secure the hair in between the clamps of the wave iron, then gently apply pressure to form a wave. Open the clamps to release the hair, then move the iron down the section and repeat. Continue until you reach the ends of the hair, leaving about 1-inch out.
3. Repeat the process throughout your hair. Allow waves to cool for 5-10 minutes.
4. Use fingers or a wide-tooth comb to gently break up the waves, then finish with Keune Style Brilliant Gloss to add shine.
The Shindig: Family Gathering
The Style: Elegant Low Bun
The Secret Weapon: KEVIN.MURPHY BEDROOM.HAIR
Whether you’re heading out of town or simply walking downstairs to the dinner table, family gatherings are the perfect time to get a little fancy. Pair this updo with a casual sweater dress and a red lip for a chic, family-friendly look.
1. Apply KEVIN.MURPHY BEDROOM.HAIR to the mid-shafts and ends to add grit and texture.
2. Divide the hair into sections, creating two medium-size sections from the front of the hair to the ear and a larger section at the nape of your neck.
3. Secure the hair at the nape of your neck into a loose loop bun using a hair elastic, leaving the ends out, then wrap the ends around the bun and pin them into place.
4. Next, grab one of the side sections and apply a small amount of BEDROOM.HAIR. Gently pull the hair back and pin it to the opposite side of the bun, Twist the ends of the section and pin them to the other side of the bun. Repeat with the other side section.
5. Pin any loose ends under the bun, then gently pull out a few face-framing pieces and apply more hairspray to finish off the look.