Hair extensions are a hot commodity. While it used to be frowned upon to wear them, there’s now a 95% chance that the girl next to you is rocking them. Whether your hair extensions are beaded, taped-in or sewn-in they all exist for the purpose of adding length and volume to your locks. But what do you do when your extensions are no longer as luscious as they once were? How do you keep them looking shiny and healthy? Read on for all of the tips and tricks you need to extend the life of your hair extensions.
It is important to care for you hair extensions like they’re your own locks, because nothing says drab, like dry, unkempt hair. Taking proper care of your extensions will not only extend the life of them, but protect your hair as well. Here are some tips to keep your extensions on fleek:
- Cleansing and Hydrating: Keep your hair and scalp clean to avoid tangles! Avoid harsh products. A leave-in conditioner is a must! Ask your stylist for the best shampoo and conditioners depending on the hair type.
- Deep Condition: Do this at least once a week, due to heat styling and the lack of natural oils it is imperative to deep condition your extensions to keep them soft and silky. Try using Macadamia Professional Nourishing Moisture Masque to repair and reconstruct hair while improving elasticity and shine.
- Brush Daily: This is one you really don’t want to skip! It will keep your extensions tangle free and allow natural oil to reach the tips. Brush your hair by starting at the ends and work your way up to avoid pulling and cut down the risk of loosening your extensions. A soft bristle brush for detangling is highly recommended and will make the brushing a breeze!
- Cut Down On Heat Styling: The less heat that you use, the longer your extensions will last. Be careful with heat settings and over styling as to not burn or melt your hair. You will have to make adjustments depending on the type.
- DO NOT SLEEP ON WET HAIR: Before dosing off make sure your hair is as dry as possible. To avoid even more tangles sleep with your hair in a loose braid, and when you wake you’ll have perfectly imperfect waves as well.
Whether you choose to wear your hair up, down, or maybe even side-to-side, extensions are a great option to add length and fullness to your style. If you choose to wear clip-in extensions, these will allow you to be flexible with your hairstyle, depending on your mood that day. Tape and sew-in extensions are alternative options for a more permanent style. All hair extensions can be used to fill out a bun, braid or ponytail. Or add extra length to your already existing locks. Want to look like the model you saw on Pinterest? Hair extensions are here for you.
Written by: Brenna Austin
For even more hair inspiration and tips, be sure to check out the articles below!