Now, more than ever, we see a beautiful transition taking place in which salons and stylists are becoming aware of the impact they have on the planet. This month, a new salon whose concept is the perfect example of sustainability opened in the West Village in New York. J. Christopher Salon became the first-ever Biolage R.A.W. flagship salon in the US. A part of Green Circle Salons, they offer natural beauty services in an eco-aware and sustainably forward working space.
“We’re thrilled to lead the way as the country’s first Biolage R.A.W. salon,” says J. Christopher Salon owner, Christopher Walsh. “We’ve always been committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service and with memorable experiences. Now we can raise the bar by offering natural origin hair care and styling products in a setting that celebrates healthy materials and keeps 70 to 90 per cent of our salon by-products out of landfills and waterways. It’s a win for our industry, our guests and the planet.”
As a part of the launch, guests were encouraged to interact with “raw” installations, receive styling-based treatments for naturals “boosts.” Celebrity Stylist, George Papanikolas was there to create “naked,” undone looks. Of his style he created on model/actress Ireland Baldwin, he says: “I wanted to recreate the natural beach waves Ireland loves after being in the ocean. We embodied her surfer girl personality and natural vibe with simple textured waves, keeping the hair looking soft and beautiful."
Follow along below to learn how to recreate Ireland Baldwin’s “nude” look!
STEP BY STEP
1. To prep hair, use Biolage R.A.W Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner
2. To prep dry hair, apply Biolage R.A.W. Smoothing Styling Milk to ease the grip of blow dry and nourish.
3. Create a center part and comb around the hairline creating waves and giving the hair direction.
4. Spray with Biolage R.A.W. Texturizing Styling Spray to give definition then use a ¾ inch barrel curling iron to curl hair and brush the waves through to keep them soft.
5. Spray the Biolage R.A.W. Frizz Control Styling Spray through the hair to maintain frizz and protect from humidity.
6. Finish it off with the Biolage R.A.W. Texturizing Styling Spray to set and add texture to the hair.
For more stylingtechniques, tutorials and trends, be sure to stalk Matrix on Bangstyle and stay tuned for even more hair inspiration!