At the Met Gala, widely considered the fashion industry's premier annual red carpet event, Hollywood's hottest celebrities dress in top designer creations to match the Costume Institute's exhibition. This year's theme -- China: Through the Looking Glass -- was marked by elaborate headpieces and gowns in rich shades of red, yellow and gold.
Actress Kristen Wiig (The Diary of a Teenage Girl) attended wearing a flowing gown with a long train by Parabal Gurung. To complement her dress, Wiig's renowned stylist, Sascha Breuer, softened her short blunt bob by creating loose waves to play up her natural beauty.
To recreate this red carpet look at home, Breuer shares this step-by-step for the perfect soft waves:
1. Apply a volumizing or surf spray such as Wella Ocean Spritz to the root area of your towel-dried hair, then blow-dry using a fish bone/skeleton brush to create the perfect foundation and loose volume that this style needs.
2. Once your hair is completely dry, divide it into smaller sub sections and create a soft wave on each section individually, starting from the back. Feed each strand through the straightener, gently bending the hair inward and outward using the rounded edge of the straightener to create "S – Waves" whilst working from the roots to the tips of each strand. Work each section in a different direction to create a more natural- looking result.
I recommend using a straightening iron that lets you adjust the temperature to the needs of your hair and work on a low/medium heat setting. The Braun Satin-Hair 7 SensoCare Styler works really well for this style as it has rounded plates that make it very easy to achieve different textures and give your hair additional volume, bounce, and life.
3. Work your way across the head in horizontal sections until all hair is waved.
4. Apply a small drop of a light hair oil or shine serum into your hands and run your fingers gently through your hair to break up the waves, leaving a few loose strands around the face to create a slightly messy texture so it has a “lived-in" look. I really like the Wella Oil Reflections as it is ultra light in the hair.
5. Once you are happy with your shape, mist with a flexible hairspray to ensure that your style will last. I really like Wella Essential Hold Spray as it the perfect spray to give hold with a light and airy texture.
Check out more of Sascha Breuer’s gorgeous hair art on his Bangstyle Profile.