Christiane F. is a German movie made in 1981. A film commonly viewed in high school throughout Europe – as part of the curriculum it served to educate about drug use and addiction. Raf Simons drew on this film (and book) as the inspiration for his FW 2018 collection. With a wine and cheese lined runway Simons paid homage to his country by bringing attention to the problems plaguing it. Of the styles we saw, Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau said, “We’ve characterized the guys this season at Raf based on the movie Christiane F. We’ve given trims, we’ve cut bangs, Josh has dyed two of the models’ hair… its individual. It is not one look; it’s a bit more edgy and individual. I’m using the new Redken Brews Clay Pomade to flatten the hair down and make it looked a bit lived-in and matte, like you’ve been out all night at the club.”
While we’ve already a seen men’s hair color break into the market, Raf Simon’s runway gave us all another reason to adopt the trend. “The color comes from the idea of a subculture.” Says Redken Global Color Creative Director Josh Wood. “There was a need to make the color look raw. It shouldn’t look too polished or too perfect – which can be a challenge for a colorist. You first have to give the color life, then you take it away. You want the color to look lived-in, and you can’t do that on the first try. I used the new Redken Color Gels Lacquers for the red color and layered them to get my desired effect. To get the blonde, I used Redken’s Flash Lift to take him from a dirty blonde to a brighter blonde.”
Keep scrolling to see the looks and go behind the scenes with Guido Palau and Josh Wood as they detail how they got the styles.
GET THE LOOK – THE STYLE:
- Prep hair with the Redken Color Extend Bonder Kit. Allow hair to air-dry.
- Rub a quarter-sized amount of Redken Brews Clay Pomade through your palms and evenly distribute throughout your hair to give a piecey, semi-matte texture.
GET THE LOOK – THE COLOR (RED):
- On Virgin Hair: ½ inch away from scalp on Zone 1 apply 1 ¾ oz 7RO Marigold Redken Color Gel Lacquers + ¼ oz 5RB Manzanita Redken Color Gels Lacquers + 2 oz 20 Vol Pro Oxide Redken Cream Developer. *new Color Gels Lacquers launching July 2018
- On Zone 2 & 3 apply 1 part 7RO Marigold Redken Color Gels Lacquers + 1 part 30 Vol Pro Oxide Redken Cream Developer.
- Processed for 35 minutes
- Pre-treat, then shampoo and condition with the Redken Color Extend Bonder Kit.
- Glossed Zone 2 & 3 with 1 part Redken Shades EQ Gloss 08C Cayenne + 1 part Processing Solution