Graduating from cosmetology school in 1980, Kelly McGee worked behind the chair from 1980-1986 before opening her own salon – Hair Razors in Whitesboro NY. Successful in her work, she joined Redken as an artist in 1999 to share and encourage others in her craft. Passionate about the principles of hairstyling, she truly believes that you can create anything if you know your foundation. Currently, she lives in New Hartford NY with her husband Jeff and her adorable dog Lucie Lu.
Recently Kelly enrolled in the Photo Finish class at the Redken Exchange in NYC and created a gorgeous collection to add to her portfolio.
Photo Finish is a three-day hands-on experience at The Redken Exchange in NYC. Redken Artists Noah Hatton, Lindsey Olson & Matthew Tyldesley, facilitate the program. They specialize in editorial, runway, backstage, and published work. The core of the program is to help hairstylist find their voice and to train their eyes through theory and real-time exercises on live models. Attendees are asked to identify their brand and build rapport and communication with their team using custom vision boards. The final culmination is a photo shoot in-house with photographer Joseph Rivera and Makeup artist, Xinxin Wang where the attendee's vision comes to life in photos. If you are interested in attending photo finish sign up here for our August Session – Summer in NYC – here.
Kelly McGee's The Mod Girl Collection
1. What is the title for your collection and why? What was your inspiration?
My inspiration came from the styles seen in the 1960s with a very mod feel to them.
2. Describe the mood/ emotion your collection conveys?
I wanted the looks to be cool everyday simple hair.
3. What Redken products and tools were used to create your Looks?
4. What was your biggest take away from attending photo finish? How have you implemented them in your craft?
My biggest takeaway was that it doesn’t have to be a big involved production. Just create a vision, roll with it and use your basic skills to create your looks.
5. What was your biggest takeaway on set? What did you learn behind the scenes?
On set the lighting is key! And the camera sees all.
6. What challenges did you have on set or with hair styling and how did you master them?
Sometimes imperfect is perfect!
7. Would you recommend Photo Finish to a fellow hairstylist? Why?
I would recommend Photo Finish to any stylist looking to build confidence and help them get started showing their work.
8. With all your new talents, where do you want to be a year from now?
I would like to be doing more collections to showcase for my clients.
9. Are you feeling inspired to do more photo shoots? What are your goals?
I get inspired by working with other stylists and I would like to do more photo shoots with other artists.
Take a peek behind the scenes!
Hairstylist: Kelly McGee IG handle: @hairrazors.whitesborony
Model: Valentina Beli IG handle: @valentinabeli
MakeUup: Xinxin Wang IG @xinxin_wang_xinxinwang
Photography: Josep Rivera IG @byjosephrivera