The wolf cut made major waves last season as a new way to add tons of texture, volume and playful layers. Less maintenance than a traditional shag, this is exactly why wolf cuts are hot right now. A great example of the lived-in precision trend, this modern take on the cut has clients asking for the cut by name. Anna Peters, Sam Villa ArTeam Member and owner of re:TREAT Color + Hair Design Studio @annas_hair_retreat and Twylla Jane, Sam Villa Ambassador and owner of Lumos Nox Salon @twyllajane, recently collaborated on a long faux wolf cut styled with backcombing with a finishing brush — take a peek at how to get the look below.
“Faux wolf cuts are a great way to add instant attitude to a look, but they do require layering products to help hold the backcombing,” says Jane who explains how to create the look.
How To: The Jodi Faux Wolf Cut
- Prep hair with Redken Quick Blowout all over, Redken Big Blowout through the mids and ends and Redken Full Frame 07 at the root area. Blow-dry with over direction to create maximum volume with a medium Sam Villa Artist Series Spiral Thermal Brush and Professional Blow Dryer.
- Set hair by spraying with Redken Iron Shape 11 and work in 1” horizontal subsections alternating with the Sam Villa Pro Results Double Waver through one section and using the Artists Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand 1.5” to create curls through the next.
- Above the parietal ridge, use the Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron on the first two inches of the base to support back combing for the style.
- Backcomb in horizontal sections through the top of the head and crown with a Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush.
- Apply more Redken Full Frame 07 to dry hair and directionally blow dry hair back and away from the face with the finishing brush. Continue until hair has enough hold to stay back.
- Use open hair pins to hold hair in place and finish with Redken Triple Take 32.
Shop The Look:
Sam Villa Artist Series Spiral Thermal Brush
Sam Villa Professional Blow Dryer
Sam Villa Pro Results Double Waver
Sam Villa Artists Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand
Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron
Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush
Hair: Anna Peters/Sam Villa ArTeam and Twylla Jane/Sam Villa Ambassador
Art Director: Teresa Romero
Photography: Nico Norsdström/Obsidian and Blush
Makeup: Tanya Ortega and Leticia Tapia
Wardrobe: Michi Lafary/Obsidian and Blush
Tools: Sam Villa