From runways to street style, the one trend we’ve seen everywhere is natural, organic texture. Depending on your hair type, you may need to update your styling technique to recreate this look. According to Sam Villa, Co-Founder of Sam Villa and Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, he shares that using a thermal wand is the quickest and easiest way to create those coveted loose, tousled waves. He shows us that using a simple 1- ½ wrap technique is the best way for both stylists behind the chair and clients at home to achieve this look.
Follow along in the video below and keep scrolling to see some of Sam’s top tips!
Tips for using a 1” wand to create volume at the base and texture and movement from midshaft to ends
- Work from the bottom up for more control.
- Section size is determined by the amount of curl wanted – for more control, use a small section, for a larger more organic wave, and use a larger section.
- Always use a thermal heat protectant to protect hair when using thermal tools, spray Redken iron shape 11 to protect and add hold to the style.
- Use a Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Curling Iron and Wand 1” – push button to remove the handle to just use the wand.
- Work back and away from the head to create movement away from the face
- After hair is wrapped 1-½ times around the wand, hold the ends with fingers and slide wand back and forth diagonally to create soft movement from midshaft to ends.
- Wraps can vary in direction to vary texture and movement through the hair.
Take a peek at all of the tips and beautiful tools Sam has created for artists. For even more hair care and styling tricks, be sure to stalk Sam Villa Professional on Bangstyle and check out all of his tools in the Bangstyle Store!