Looking for a new style to match the #sweaterweather? With cooler weather approaching and back-to-school season on the horizon, now is the perfect time to master a silk press and wave. The reason why the silk press is ideal around this time of year is because during the cooler months this style last longer due to the lower humidity, explains Ashley Brown, Sam Villa Ambassador and Mizani Artist @ash_hairbarbie. Read on to discover her top tips and the steps to get this flawless look!
How-To: Silk Press + Wave
- Shampoo with Mizani Moisture Fusion Gentle Clarifying Shampoo to gently remove any buildup. Follow with Mizani Moisture Fusion Moisture Rich Shampoo and Moisture Fusion Intense Moisturizing Mask. Apply conditioner to lightly towel dried hair focusing on mid shaft-ends, avoiding the root area. Use a Sam Villa Signature Series 9 Row Finishing Brush to evenly distribute conditioner, starting at ends and working to the mid-shaft and then root. For more intense treatment, let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly.
- Apply Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-in Conditioner and use the 9 Row Finishing Brush to detangle and distribute product working from the ends up.
- Emulsify a dime size amount of Mizani Press Agent Raincoat "Styling Serum" and "Styling Cream" and apply to hair starting at the ends, working up for maximum heat protection. Using the brush again to distribute product.
- Section hair in 4-6 sections, depending on the density of the hair, bantu knot and secure each section with Sam Villa Dry Sectioning Clips. Begin drying section closet to the nape with the Sam Villa Pro Results 3-in-1 Blow Dry Hot Brush. Work from the ends up while drying and using the hot brush in the hair dryer/hot brush setting (middle setting).
- Repeat drying process for all sections, work from the nape up and around the head. Once dry, lightly mist with Mizani Heat Screen (1-2 sprays). Go through one last time with the 3-in-1 Blow Dry Hot Brush to ensure hair is completely dry.
- Begin to smooth hair using the Sam Villa Signature Series Sleekr Professional Straightening Iron working from the nape up. Use dry sectioning clips and a tail comb to keep sections neat and clean.
- Once hair is smoothed, emulsify a dime size amount of Mizani Press Agent Raincoat Styling Serum in palms and apply to hair from ends up for added smoothness and shine. Then begin to wave hair using the straightening iron starting at the nape and working up and forward, keeping sections clean with clips and a tail comb
- After hair is completely waved, take 1 pump of Mizani 25 Miracle Nourishing Oil, emulsify all over hands and gently begin to break apart waves. This will prevent frizz and maintain softness.
“When done well, a silk press should last until the hair gets wet or high humidity starts to break it down,” explains Brown. “It’s also a great way to style shift for the season.”
Products To Get The Look:
Credits - Photo: B.Cherie Creative / @B.Cherie_Creative; MUA: Mahogany Tate / @Cosm0e; Hair: Ashley Brown / @ash_hairbarbie