While great curls are usually attributed to the right haircut and the perfect styling products, curly hair patterns thrive when paired with the right hair color. This season, we love pairing gorgeous curls with highlights to enhance their curves and really accentuate their natural beauty. Everything from sun-kissed balayage to strategically placed highlights can unlock the unique patterns of your curls and we’re diving into one of our favorite ways to highlight curly hair. Enter: Color Blocking — the best highlight trend for curly hair in 2024.
What Is Color Blocking?
Color Blocking is a highlight technique that can create a show-stopping effect on any hair texture, but we love pairing Contrast Color Blocking with curls for a bold take on the trend. It uses a variety of contrasting colors throughout your look to create a vibrant finish.
Get The Look:
No matter your level, pre-lightening the hair is a must to create the bold finish you’re after. We suggest starting with Wella Professionals BlondorPlex. Apply the lightener with foils or on-scalp in a single concentrated area. Then, choose your tone! While a bright blue can be captivating, you can also create the look with natural-looking brunette, copper or blonde hues. *Wella Professionals BlondorPlex should always be followed with Wella Professionals WellaPlex No. 2 to stabilize bonds and complete the BlondorPlex service.
We suggest Wella Professionals Koleston Perfect to get the high contrast color you’re after, and to keep it! As the first and only professional hair color combining uncompromised color performance with Metal Purifier and ME+ Dye Technology, you can expect true-to-tone color and protection from damage for healthy, vibrant results.
What We Love About Contrast Color Blocking for Curls
While color of any kind shows off your curls, color blocking creates a statement. In addition to accentuating each individual curl, this placement can completely update your haircut to magnify your silhouette or create areas of interest.
Hair Care Tips for Color Blocking
Anyone with color-treated hair will need to adopt new a new hair care routine to look after the health of their hair, enhance, and elongate their color. As one of the most innovative new ranges, ULTIMATE REPAIR is the go-to for all hair colors and hair types. Utilize ULTIMATE REPAIR Shampoo, Conditioner and Miracle Hair Rescue to repair hair damage in just 90 seconds* for hair that is visibly transformed in just one use for 99% less breakage** and 12x smoother*** results. *When using ULTIMATE REPAIR Miracle Hair Rescue ** When using ULTIMATE REPAIR Miracle Hair Rescue. Instrumental test versus non-conditioning shampoo *** Vs. non-conditioning shampoo.
Add A Touch of Shine To Every Service With Wella Professionals Shinefinity
Wella Professionals is the N°1 Salon Color Brand in the world.* Included in this, one of the brand's fan favorites includes Wella Professionals Shinefinity — a glazing treatment that will improve tone and add a Touch of Shine to every service. In addition to creating unbeatable shine and beautiful true-to-tone results, you can look forward to the following with Shinefinity: *Based on Wella Master Brand USD sales on the 2022 Salon Hair Care Study for the hair coloring products category published by Kline.
- 37 Demi-Permanent Shades that are intermixable for endless color options
- Offers up to 250% shinier hair*
- Up to 50% smoother hair**
- Up to 50% softer hair**
- Add a Touch of Shine to any service such as haircuts, styling & blowouts, root touch-ups, hair coloring, or a hair refresh.
- Tones that last up to 6 weeks
- Innovative formula regulates the pH of the hair to ensure it doesn’t fall below 6.5 for balanced, optimal color results.
- Can be used on natural hair color, after lightening, or in addition to gray coverage services.
- Pick from 2 developers: Bowl and Brush Activator or Bottle Activator
- Pick from Cool, Warm, Naturals, or Booster color palettes, Signature Naturals collection and the new Wella Professionals Shinefinity Flash Glaze shades are essential to use after any lightening service to create a bright blonde finish in just 5 minutes.
- Use Shinefinity to create shine, refresh color and highlights, add tone, enhance dimension, or correct color.
- 1 Shinefinity tube sold every 10 seconds in the world.
*versus untreated bleached hair
**Instrumental testing vs. our regular demi