Around this time of year, hundreds of thousands of music-loving individuals descend on the California desert, parks and beaches to dance it out! Music festivals from Outside Lands to Coachella, Blues Fest, and Lollapalooza have become so much more than just a place to hear music, it’s a place to see and be seen and start new trends. People pull out all the stops when it comes to accessorizing their style. We are sure to see the usuals from barrette stacking to fierce braids and midriffs galore, but we’ll also be on the lookout for new styles making their way into the social sphere.
If there is anything we’re sure of, it’s that embellishments are in this season! The thing about Coachella, or any festival for that matter, is that you need to game plan your hair the same way you do with your outfits. Having a few key styles to go to on days 1, 2, and 3 will keep the desert spirit going strong! In this tutorial, Redken Artist Heather King is giving us the ultimate festival style inspiration with 3 different looks that are perfect for your next music festival as well as the sunny season to come! Of festival-ready styles, Heather says, “Amazing hair is the ultimate accessory to any festival outfit. The right hair can make your look pop, but can be a challenge to maintain with the hot summer sun and dancing all night. Using Redken products means you’ll always be Insta-ready during your epic festival weekend.”
Keep reading to see the styles and the steps to each look!
LOOK ONE: GLAM
- Section hair from a side part down the back with a slight diagonal at the nape of your neck to ensure the end of your braid stays hidden.
- Clip hair on the other side of your head up and away.
- Rub a small amount of Redken Dry Shampoo Paste 05 in your hands for added grip then begin French braiding hair close to your scalp, securing with an elastic.
- Unclip the other side of your hair, and apply a few spritzes of Redken Iron Shape 11 to your lengths and ends.
- Using a 1” curling iron, curl 1-2” sections of your hair away from the face for loose, romantic bends.
- Once cooled, spray a few spritzes of Redken Dry Texture Triple Dry 15 Spray and run your fingers through your lengths for texture and volume.
- If desired, use a dime-sized amount of Redken Dry Shampoo Paste 05 on your ends for a piecey look.
- Set look with Redken Triple Take 32 Hairspray for all-night-long wear.
- If desired, apply a few small jewels down your braid for a glamourous finish.
LOOK TWO: EDGY
- Create a clean center part using a wide-toothed comb all the way down the back of your head into two even sections.
- Rub a small amount of Redken Dry Shampoo Paste 05 in your hands for added grip then begin French braiding hair close to your scalp on either side, securing each end with an elastic.
- Softly pull apart the braids on either side for a wider appearance.
- Spray a few spritzes of Redken Frizz Dismiss Anti-Static Oil Mist over each braid and run your palms down each side to fully set the look and prevent humidity all night long.
- Add a high-shine, glossy finish all over hair with a heavier spray of Redken Shine Flash 02 for all-day shine.
LOOK THREE: FUN
- Section off a U-Shaped section of hair around the crown using a wide-toothed comb and then divide into two equal sections with a center part. Clip off into sections.
- Secure the two sides with an elastic creating two mini ponytails placed where you want the buns to sit on top of your head.
- Spray mini ponytails with Redken Dry Texture Triple Dry 15 Spray for texture and volume.
- Twist the end of each ponytail in a circular shape until moderately tight.
- While holding the end secure with one hand, use the other to spray Redken Triple Take 32 Hairspray for added grip.
- Secure each twisted ponytail with an elastic. If needed, add a few bobby pins for added hold.
- Use your fingers to allow a few baby hairs to pop out to soften your hairline.
- Set whole look with Redken Triple Take 32 Hairspray for all-day wear.