Nothing ruins a hairstyle quicker than the impact of frizz and the end of summer can be one of the most humid times of the year. Naturally, minimizing frizz is a major focus this season, especially for those with naturally curly hair. To help cut down on the effect, Ashley Brown, Sam Villa Ambassador and Mizani Artist @ash_hairbarbie, is sharing tips on how to tame frizz in high humidity.
“Hair tends to frizz because it lacks moisture and then pulls moisture from the environment,” explains Brown. “Professional products that cater to naturally curly hair add moisture and create a good foundation for hold to help prevent humidity from penetrating the cuticle and causing fuzz. It’s really important to apply enough product and apply it methodically, section by section to ensure longevity and help prevent frizz instigated by humidity,” says Brown.
How To Lock Out Frizz
- Wash with Mizani Moisture Fusion Moisture Rich Shampoo and apply Moisture Fusion Intense Moisturizing Mask to gently towel-dried hair focusing on mid-shaft and ends, avoiding the root area. Use a Sam Villa Signature Series 9 Row Finishing Brush to evenly distribute conditioner, starting at ends and working to the mid-shaft and root. Rinse thoroughly.
- Apply Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-in Conditioner and use a brush to detangle and distribute product working from the ends up.
- At the nape, take horizontal sections based on the density of the hair. Saturate hair with water with a Sam Villa Continuous Mist Spray Bottle. Then, mist section with Mizani Coco Dew and a nickel to quarter size amount of Mizani Curl Enhancing Lotion and apply to the mid-shaft and ends. Brush through to evenly distribute and scrunch. Repeat, working up and forward to the front of the head.
- Use a Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer with Deep Bowl Diffuser and oscillate dryer around the head.
- Begin to move dryer in and out of hair - DO NOT touch hair with hands – use only the diffuser to move hair. This will set the curls and prevent unwanted frizz.
- When hair is 80-95% dry, scrunch in Mizani 25 Miracle Nourishing Oil to add more moisture, control frizz, and begin to break up the curls. If hair tends to get a lot of frizz, dry hair 95%.
Shop Products & Tools:
“Remember to apply product to hair when it’s very wet. Curls, coils, and waves need product saturation to really set the style and prevent frizz. Product cannot "fix" frizz that has already begun to dry/set into the hair, but it can help minimize and prevent it,” adds Brown.
Hair: Ashley Brown / @ash_hairbarbie
Photography: B.Cherie Creative / @B.Cherie_Creative
Makeup Aritst: Mahogany Tate / @Cosm0e