Hair extensions have grown in popularity around the world for their ability to change the length and volume of a hairstyle instantly. Whether clients are interested in a heavier weight line for their bob, length for a special occasion or are looking for thickness or length options on a daily basis, hair extensions can do it all. If you are certified to apply them or have many clients who enjoy wearing them, it is a great idea to learn a few key cutting and styling techniques to ensure the end result is as natural as possible. Sam Villa, Co-founder and Chief Creative Officer of Sam Villa and Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken, is joining forces with Extend Events to lend his expertise on how to blend extensions by increasing movement, volume and texture with cutting and finishing techniques.
“The key to styling layered hair with extensions is to break away from the traditional iron techniques and manipulate tools in new ways to create more organic texture and movement,” says Villa.
Blending Hair Extensions When Finishing
- It is effective to work with vertical sections on the side and horizontal near the back so the volume and texture created when styling camouflages the extensions.
- Always combine both the extensions and natural hair together in each section. Extensions may be natural hair, but that fabric lays differently on the head, so styling together creates more balance and a natural look.
- Do not be so methodical, it is essential to be random when cultivating lived-in texture. Curling hair in different directions with varying section sizes produces a mix of textures for seamless blending. A relaxed mindset creates a relaxed finish.
- Make sure to apply adequate heat to lock in styling. The Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand has an extra-long barrel for added surface area when working on longer hair and larger sections.
- The means to creating today's texture is to leave the ends straight - curling the entire head is a dated look.
Learn More Expert Tips!
To take part in the Virtual Summit with Sam and Extend Events on May 2nd and 3rd, register here! You'll learn all about cutting and styling techniques with hair extensions with 12 classes, 10 hours of virtual education and 3 hair extension certifications!
"Sam is one of the most inspirational and technical stylists in the industry. His ability to teach and engage is unprecedented. We have learned so much from Sam over the years and continue to be motivated by him!" says Mindy McDermaid, Director of Sales for Extend Events.
Hair: Sam Villa