When it comes to repairing damaged hair — a customized treatment is essential for a few reasons. First, not all hair damage is equal. Second, to repair the hair you’ve got to take a well-rounded approach that focuses on both moisture and protein to hydrate as well as rebuild the structure of the hair. With innovative technology and expertly designed formulas, Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate has both in-salon treatments and an at-home regimen that can be perfectly tailored to meet all of your hair care needs.
To understand more about this system and how to customize it for your routine — we’re breaking down the difference between products for moisture vs. protein below and when to use each!
Moisture Vs. Protein — Which Product To Pick?
Moisture and protein play crucial roles in maintaining the health and appearance of hair. Each serves a distinct purpose in hydrating and repairing damaged hair, and a balance of both is essential for optimal hair health.
Choose Moisture For:
- Hydration: Hair strands require adequate moisture to maintain flexibility, softness, and elasticity. Moisture also helps prevent dryness, frizz, and brittleness, leading to a much more manageable style.
- Cuticle Protection: The cuticle acts as a protective barrie but when hair lacks moisture, the cuticle can become lifted, leading to increased vulnerability to damage from external factors such as heat, UV rays, and environmental stressors.
- Manageability: Well-hydrated hair is more manageable and less prone to tangling, making it easier to style and reducing the risk of breakage during combing or brushing.
Pick Protein For:
- Structural Support: Hair is primarily composed of keratin protein. This is why protein treatments help reinforce the structure of the hair, providing strength and resilience. Proteins like keratin, collagen, and others help repair and fill in gaps or weak points in the hair shaft.
- Damage Repair: Chemical processes, heat styling, and environmental factors can cause the hair's protein structure to weaken. Protein treatments help repair this damage by fortifying the hair and restoring its strength and integrity.
- Preventing Breakage: Protein is essential for preventing breakage, split ends, and other forms of damage. It helps maintain the overall health and longevity of the hair.
Which Acidic Bonding Concentrate Product To Pick:
Featuring two professional treatments available in the salon, Redken Acidic Moisture Concentrate contains 10% glycerin to replenish moisture, prevent frizz, promote softness and hydrated hair, while Acidic Protein Amino Concentrate features 12% cationic and amino acids to improve strength, repair and balance protein levels to improve condition and shine. Whether used together or separately, both should then be sealed with Acidic pH Sealer to seal the cuticle and lock in any treatment benefits to add shine and visibly reduce surface damage instantly for a smooth, sleek finish.
Why Both Are Necessary:
- Balance: Hair needs a balance of moisture and protein. Too much moisture without sufficient protein can lead to overly flexible and weak hair, prone to breakage. On the other hand, excessive protein without enough moisture can result in stiff, brittle hair.
- Dynamic Needs: Hair's needs for moisture and protein can vary depending on factors such as hair type, texture, environmental conditions, and styling practices. For example, chemically treated or heat-styled hair may require more protein to counteract damage, while naturally dry hair may need additional moisture.
- Long-Term Health: Consistent care with a balance of moisture and protein contributes to the long-term health and appearance of the hair. Regular use of moisturizing and protein treatments can help prevent and repair damage, leading to stronger, more resilient hair.
What About At-Home Care?
The Acidic Bonding Concentrate system contains a range of products for daily use that all contain bond-building repair. In addition to in-salon treatments, using these between appointments will improve the health of your hair from the inside out.
Choose from Acidic Bonding Concentrate Intensive Treatment, Shampoo and Conditioner, Lightweight Liquid Conditioner, 5-Min Liquid Mask, or the Leave-In Treatment. Each contains bond-building benefits to create strengthened, repaired hair with smoother, shinier, balanced results for all hair types and textures.
Moisture and protein are both crucial for maintaining the health of your hair. A proper balance of these elements ensures that your hair stays hydrated, flexible, and strong, reducing the risk of damage and promoting overall hair health.
Shop The Range: