With the latest 90s style trends on repeat, space buns have been everywhere. In this tutorial, Jada Jenkins, Sam Villa Ambassador, Mizani Artist and L'amour de Rose Salon Owner @jadajenkinsco, shares a quick and easy way to create space buns for children with curly hair textures. “The key is using lots of product to tame hair, a fine boar bristle paddle brush to detangle, and a tail comb for parting and smoothing,” says Jenkins. Watch the tutorial below:
The Top Tips:
- Saturate hair with product so it can be smoothed and guided into the buns.
- Hold hair in hands and use a Sam Villa Artist Series Polishing Paddle Brush to brush only the hair in hands to remove tangles gently and without creating tension at the root.
- Use a tail comb to smooth out hair along the base.
- Detail hairline and shorter pieces of hair around the ears with product to either enhance curl or smooth it out.
- Have a bunch of colored elastics on hand so kids can pick their favorite color.
- Always use a Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Hair Dryer and diffuser in a circular motion to lock in the space buns, set curl and dry hair.
Shop The Look:
“Make it fun! Get the kids involved by having them hold tools and pick elastic colors, so they feel like they’re helping you out,” adds Jenkins.
Image Courtesy of @jadajenkinsco
To learn more from the Sam Villa Team, check out FREE weekly Facebook Live classes and 10-minute YouTube tutorials. The complete catalogue of customizable education for salons, shows and events, including Thrive On, is available here.