Silent protest, social media moments and climate change challenges were all around, Milan Fashion Week as Prada and Versace stole the stage. Keep reading to see some of the highlights from the shows — like Jlo's jungle green dress or Miuccia Prada's simplistic elegance — and get a breakdown of the looks on the runway from Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau.
It was the catwalk seen ‘round the world – Jlo stole the show and effectively “broke the internet” once again as she strutted down the runway – closing the show in a modernized recreation of the iconic green dress she wore to the 2000 Grammy awards nearly 20 years before. Looking just as stunning and in some ways even more breathtaking, for a show that started very humbly, she ended the show with a deafening crescendo. Buttoned up power suits and leather blazers a la ‘80s led the way for provocative minis that thoroughly complemented the female shape. As jungle print broke up the never-ending black, bright neons led the way for the Jlo finish. Hair was a slicked back wet look for a “fresh out of the shower” feel.
“I’ve done a wet look at Versace this season using Redken Hardwear 16 Gel, Redken Shine Flash 02, and Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray. It’s meant to feel like you just got out of the shower – it’s very messy, very sexy, and very Donatella.” – Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau
GET THE LOOK:
1. Start with clean, air-dried hair.
2. Apply a quarter-sized amount of Redken Hardwear 16 Gel to your hands and rub your fingers together.
3. Rake your hair back with your fingers, combing through your lengths for wet appearance, adding more Redken Hardwear 16 Gel as you go.
4. Once you have your desired effect, take a few pieces of hair from your hairline and brush them across your forehead for a messy, fresh-out-of-the-shower appearance.
5. Once your desired look is achieved, spritz the NEW! Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray all over for high hold without crunch.
6. Finish off with a few spritzes of Redken Shine Flash 02 over the whole look to get a high-gloss appearance.
Simplicity from the ’20s, ‘70s, and ‘90s shine through at Miuccia Prada’s spring show. Much like other trendsetters, office-ready workwear that is as stylish as it is practical has had a monumental impact this season and reiterates the power woman in the workplace. More so, their “You wear the outfit, don't let your outfit wear you” mantra has place precedent on the modern woman and the style that goes along with it. To create a boyish charm, Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau created sideburns on each girl. Keep reading to see just how he got the look.
“There’s a nod to the 20s and to the bourgeoisie this season at Prada. However, there’s still a bit of strangeness to the look with a contemporary spin, which is classic Prada. I’ve added in little sideburns on each girl that add a touch of boyishness. There are details in this look’s simplicity that lend themselves to different references, all while staying very Prada. This look on every model adds a touch of uniformity, while still allowing the models’ personalities to shine through in their own way. I’ve used Redken’s NEW! Extreme Play Safe leave-in to heat protect and the NEW! Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray to hold the look.” – Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau
GET THE LOOK:
2. Apply a nickel-sized amount of the NEW! Redken Extreme Play Safe throughout damp hair to heat protect and fortify strands.
3. Blow-dry hair with a boar-bristled brush until fully dry.
4. Part your hair in a precise side part using a fine-toothed comb and tuck your hair behind your ears.
5. Apply about a quarter-sized amount of Redken Hardwear 16 Gel to fingertips and begin applying down either side of your part in sections, holding close to your head shape.
6. Continue until about the top of your ear until your whole head shape is finished.
7. If desired, insert clip-in extensions on either side of your hairline in front of your ear that have been cut to about 1-1.5” in length.
8. Spritz the NEW! Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray all over the top of your head for high hold without crunch.
9. Finish off with a few spritzes of Redken Shine Flash 02 over the whole front to get a high-gloss appearance.
Be sure to follow @Redken on social media for the latest updates and tag us in your #RedkenReady looks! From New York to London, Milan, and Paris Fashion Weeks be sure to stay tuned to see the latest trends!